The early 19th century was a period of wealth for Kokkola. One of the most notable private buildings in the city’s history is the stone house built by Andreas Roos Jr. in 1813, which stands on the corner of Isokatu and Pitkänsillankatu. The building’s architecture contains influences from both Gustavian neo-classicism and Rococo architecture. The Roos family were wealthy merchants and ship-owners. In his declaration of wealth for 1800, Anders Roos Sr. was Finland’s richest man. During his lifetime Kokkola was among the country’s leading seafaring towns.
Nowadays the building serves as home to the K.H. Renlund museum. In its spaces the valuable art collection donated by commercial councillor Karl Herman Renlund to the City of Kokkola, as well as changing art exhibitions. In the yard, photographer Leo Torppa’s camera collection is on display in the old salt storage.The Museum Block